The following guidance is updated for the Fall 2022 semester and CAO 5 Aug 2022:
**Note: If you have not received a direct email about New Student Orientation from a cadre member please reach out ASAP!
Welcome! On behalf of the University of Kentucky’s AFROTC Cadre, we would like to welcome you to Detachment 290, the home of the Flying Wildcats.
We will have a MANDATORY New Student Orientation (NSO) before classes start.
Event: Det 290 NSO
Date: 18-19 Aug 22
- 18 Aug for students with last names starting with letters A-L
- 19 Aug for students with last names starting with letters M-Z
Location: 408 Administration Drive, 203 Barker Hall, Lexington KY 40508
Who: New cadets (parents are welcomed and encouraged to attend)
Dress Code: Business Casual (males come clean shaven)
Parking: Parking Structure #5, South Upper Street, Lexington, KY/409 S. Limestone
YOU MUST BRING WITH YOU:
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Signed Social Security Card
- Copies WILL NOT be accepted. Both documents will be returned the same day.
- Be sure to have your WINGS username/password and bring a laptop if you have one.
- If you previously served in the military, bring the original DD Form 214 (copy 4-member copy) or DD Form 785 (we will make a copy and return to you that day). If you are in the National Guard, Reserves, or other Service, you must provide a sign DD Form 368 to acknowledge your conditional release prior to commissioning.
- A completed Form 28 (sports physical form, see attached)
BEFORE 15 AUGUST 2022, YOU MUST COMPLETE:
- Create your WINGS account online: https://wings.holmcenter.com/applyforafrotc
- Please use Google Chrome
Reference the AFROTC Online Admissions for Applicants Guide (attached) for a step-by-step tutorial
- Everyone will complete the package as “Joining AFROTC”
- HSSP students your profile is likely already complete; your forms will also be completed day of (see below)
- Complete the following documents and upload to WINGS under Supporting Documents:
- ACT/SAT Scores: Web versions acceptable with student’s name
- Transcripts of Completed College courses, if applicable.
- Immunizations Record (dates received MMR and Varicella/Chicken Pox)
- Selective Service Numbers (males only): this can be obtained at https://www.sss.gov/
- Schedule an appointment for a sports physical with your physician and take the attached Form 28.pdf with you.
- You must have a Form 28 (sports physical form) on file to participate in PT and Leadership Lab. This form is only valid for one academic year (Aug-May). Please see the attached form and complete by the required date above.
- On the day of orientation, we will be completing your enrollment forms (e.g DD Form 2983, 2005, 93, etc.) with UK AFROTC cadre members from 0800-1000
What do I need to do now to start prepping for success?
- Start working out! Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) standards can be found in the attachment. The first PFA will be Spring 2022.
- Review our website with guidance on preparation, standards, expectations and a how-to guide on completing the enrollment forms: New Cadet Orientation | Air Force ROTC (Aerospace Studies) (uky.edu)
Reminder, we will complete the majority of the paperwork during 18/19 August NSO session. If you have any problems or questions about the requirements for NSO, please don't hesitate to contact us at 859-257-7115 or AFROTC@uky.edu
AFROTC Detachment 290 Summer Orientation Video Series
The videos below are meant to help give you a jump start on your time in AFROTC. They were developed by our cadets and cover a series of topics that will be very important for you right from day one. Please watch all videos prior to the New Student Orientation (NSO) in mid-August. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at AFROTC@uky.edu or 859-257-7115.
Lesson 1: Introduction to AFROTC
Lesson 2: (Part 1) Female Dress & Appearance Standards
(Part 2) Male Dress & Appearance Standards
(Part 3) Standards/Customs & Courtesies
RESOURCE: Air Force Instruction 36-2903, Dress & Appearance Regulation
Lesson 3: Fitness Requirements and PT Expectations
RESOURCE: Air Force Fitness Assessment Charts (Males and Females)
Lesson 4: Time Management
(Part 2) ROTC Time Requirements
Lesson 5: Classroom Procedures and Communication in ROTC
Lesson 6: Leadership, Expectations, and Teamwork
Lesson 7: New Student Orientation / Paperwork Instructions
Lesson 8: Active Duty Life